Saturday, December 6, 2014

Rock Out With Me Ladies





I've been wanting to blog about this for a while and now is the perfect time.  I don't know why, but for some reason there is a lot of competition among women (particularly African-American women).  Shortage of men maybe?  Possibly, but I don't think that's it.  Not trying to get too deep, but this probably dates back to slavery.

I attended a university where maybe about 3% of the students were black.  I can remember seeing other black ladies around campus and I felt a competitive spirit among us - even with there just being a few of us at the university.  Competition can be good for some settings like in the classroom and in sports, but this felt hateful.  I even mentioned it to my Mom when she asked me about school and wanted to know what was something that surprised me about college.  This did surprise me and actually, it was a bit of a shock to me (culture shock).  I came from a predominately black high school and I never noticed competition with females to this extent before.  It was ugly.

For instance, I was a member of a minority women's group in college and one student brought up a time when she walked passed another black female that she didn't know.  She explained that she looked at her like she quote, "stole her puppy or something."  I completely understood what she meant as I too have had those same experiences, and unfortunately still do at times.  It's like instead of being nice, some women already don't like you.  Or if you are succeeding at something, some will insult you or point out the negatives instead of giving you props.  Just like when people were slamming Gabrielle Douglas' hair while she was making history at the Olympics.  It's really sad.




Side Note: I Am Not My Hair (Thanks India Arie!)

I've always been a happy person so I try to smile whenever I see a Sister (black, white, or whatever).  I'm all for being nice and making new friends.  If I see a Sister doing her thing, then that inspires me. I'm not going to be jealous.  I'm going to be happy for her.  Of course, I'm not perfect.  If something is making me a little jealous, then I will quickly pray about it so God can help me with whatever my issue is.

God sees how we respond to other people's happiness.  The Bible says, "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." ~Romans 12:15

I think a lot of people have this scripture twisted.  They mourn when others rejoice and rejoice when others mourn.  That's not right!  You being happy for someone else is not going to keep you from getting anything or give the other person more power.  Whatever the thinking behind this is, there is room for everyone to succeed.  We would probably be more successful and even get there faster if we learn to build each other up instead of tearing each other down.  Let's not be crabs in a barrel.




Show God's love.  Compliment or encourage somebody today :)

You go girl!

  Okay, with that said - I recently saw on Facebook that April Daniels (co-star of +WE tv 's Tamar & Vince) has started a campaign called Rock Out With Me. 

Here is the mission of this campaign from the 'Rock Out With Me' website:

Is all about restoring the unity that's missing among women today. Unfortunately there's a stigma that most women can't seem to get along naturally. The objective with this campaign is to cancel out all of the negativity associated with women by being a representation of positivity and supporting one another for the long haul. Simply being to others what you want for yourself.


Needless to say, I love this campaign and I wanted to share it with all of you.

#RockOutWithMe

#Unity #Love & #Respect





"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

No comments:

Post a Comment