Friday, January 16, 2015

Whitney, Aaliyah, and Jem Movies





I'm going to be shifting gears and taking a lot of turns in this post, so just follow me :)

"This Saturday, on January 17th, Golden Globe® Award winner and Academy Award® nominee Angela Bassett makes her directorial debut with the Lifetime Original Movie "Whitney," featuring Yaya DaCostain the lead role with Arlen Escarpeta alongside her as Bobby Brown. " +Lifetime 




#Whitney




I'm looking forward to this movie and I'm happy for Angela Bassett!

Side Note: I love seeing Angela and her Hubby (actor - Courtney B. Vance) together.  They seem like a fun couple.  You can check out their book here.


Courtney kind of reminds me of my Dad :)


I miss the late, great Whitney Houston!  I thought it was touching, beautiful, and fitting when her song, "I Will Always Love You" was played at her home-going service as her casket was being carried out of the church. 


She has so many good songs, but here are my personal faves:




Amazing voice!




(Toni Estes was one of the songwriters on "It's Not Right But It's Okay."  I like singing karaoke to it). 




(Kelly Price and Faith Evans sound great with Whitney.  I remember my brother saying they could start a group together when "Heartbreak Hotel" came out).


I also loved seeing Whitney in movies, especially The Preacher's Wife and The Bodyguard. 




(FYI - Angela Bassett's husband, Courtney B. Vance also stars in The Preacher's Wife with Whitney and Denzel Washington).






Truly a legend!


She was also in the movie Sparkle.  Here is Tika Sumpter talking about her with Arsenio Hall...




Very touching!

Leave me a comment and tell me what are some of your favorite Whitney songs or movies.

Oh, and shout out to Deborah Cox who covers Whitney's songs in the upcoming Lifetime movie!  

~~~

You may have heard that Lifetime also premiered another movie back in November - Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B.   

I never said what I thought about the movie so here it goes:

I actually thought the movie wasn't all that bad as people made it out to be.  And trust me, I love Aaliyah!  I just wanted to make sure I gave the movie a chance.  Yes, some of the actors did not look like the people they were portraying; but I wasn't trippin about that.  I feel like the actors/actresses got those roles and that was their blessing.  I'm not going to slam them any more than they already have been on social media.  

I started thinking like this after I saw how Aurora Perrineau was treated for getting the part of Shana Elmsford in Jem the Movie.  

Jem the Movie (scheduled for release this year) is based on the 1980s cartoon, Jem and the Holograms.  That was my cartoon back in the day!  

There was a lot of controversy surrounding Aurora being casted, because fans felt like Shana's character was being "whitewashed." People were saying really hateful things to her.  Unfortunately, they probably still are.  Aurora is biracial.  FYI - Her Dad is Harold Perrineau from The Best Man movies.
  
(Side Note: I made an audition video for Jem the Movie :) I knew all the main roles had already been selected.  I was going for a part as an extra or to assist with music or something like that.  But it seemed like the casting call was just for publicity.  I still had fun though.  Check out my video below).  




Okay, back to the Aaliyah movie...

If I got a part in that movie I would have been thrilled and I would have tried to stay away from people's comments unless they were encouraging.  I thought the actors did a nice job.  The only negative things I have to say about it are: 

1) I like that Lifetime wanted to honor sweet Aaliyah and tell people about her amazing life, but I think them not being able to use all of her songs hurt them.  They were using songs that were not as popular as the hits that Aaliyah's fans remember and love.  It took away from the movie in my opinion.  

I put some of Aaliyah's music videos in a previous blog I wrote.


2) Aaliyah's name is also said incorrectly throughout the movie.  Aaliyah stated before that it should be pronounced like you would say Muhammad Ali.


I guess the good thing is that younger generations now know who Aaliyah is, but I wouldn't have wanted to do the movie without her family's full support.  I would have also wanted to interview Aaliyah's family and friends to get their account.


Here's what +Wendy Williams had to say about the movie she helped produce:




So anyways, I have the Whitney movie set to record on my DVR this weekend.  We'll see if it does well.  +Lifetime , keep giving us something to talk about :)


And I love that the Lifetime Network gives new directors, producers, actors/actresses, etc. a chance to shine!  Nice work!

No comments:

Post a Comment